Anyone charging over $500 for floor construction services in California, must have a C-15 License.
Thousands of contractors across several trades apply to the CSLB each year. Those who prepare correctly and study, pass the exam the first time.
This article will cover what you must know to pass the flooring license test on the first try!
Know The Requirements For the Flooring License
To take the flooring license exam you must meet the following requirements:
- 18 years of age
- Drivers License or USA ID
- Social Security or ITIN #
- Not currently on probation or parole
- 4 Years Journeyman Level Experience
- Pass a Two Part Exam
The C-15 Flooring License is issued by the Contractors State License Board, which is the governing agency for contractors in the state of California.
The CSLB has offices all over the state of California and offers 73 different licensing classifications.
In addition to the basic requirements for a flooring license, Applicants have to have a signature from a qualifying individual, to learn more click here.
A C-15 Flooring Contractor may engage in the following activities:
- Old floor removal
- Testing subfloor for moisture
- Installing underlayment
- Purchasing Materials
- Waxing, Staining, Sanding and Surface Prep
- Installing Carpets, Wood Floors, Vinyl and Linoleum
- Replacing Moldings
- Cutting and Laying Laminate or Tile
- Using Adhesives
These are just a few of the areas of expertise a flooring contractor will want to know about. The Flooring license test will include questions on ALL aspects of the trade.
- C-15 Online Practice Exams and Study Guides
- Introduction to Blueprint Reading Course
- OSHA Safety Training Bundle
2. Study Whats Going To Be On The Flooring License Test
The Flooring license test will have two parts.
- 115 Questions on Contractor LAW
- 115 Questions on Flooring
- 3 Hours To Complete Each Portion
- Close Book
- Taken on a Computer at a CSLB Testing Facility
- 72% Score To Pass
Learn more about Contractor License LAW
LAW & Business
- Business Organization
- Business Finances
- Employment Requirements
- Contract Requirements and Execution
- Safety Public Works
- Licensing Requirements
- Planning and Estimation (26%)
- Subfloor Evaluation and Preparation (17%)
- Carpet Installation (14%)
- Resilient Goods and Rubber Flooring Installation (12%)
- Laminate Flooring Installation (8%)
- Wood Flooring Installation (10%)
- Safety (13%)
Flooring Contractors License Practice Test Questions
1. When installing carpet on stairs, in which direction should the pile point?
a) Any direction
b) Toward the left
c) Up the stairs
d) Down the stairs
2. What procedure should be used when the contractor finds a hump in the concrete substrate?
a) Install over it
b) Use more adhesive
c) Smooth the area with floor fill
d) Grind the hump down to level it
3. Contractor Classes
If you are looking for instruction covering the Contractor License LAW side of the flooring license exam, enrolling into a contractor license school could help a lot.
The flooring license is for a journey-level tradesman who has a solid understanding of flooring construction. Contractor classes are not meant to teach your trade.
Contractor Classes can be great for those of us who haven't been in school for a while.
Contractor Classes are:
- Taught by Contractors, Project Managers, Foreman, Superintendents and construction veterans
- Live Instruction with Q&A portion
- Bilingual (depending on the school you chose)
- In depth classes that cover important LAW concepts
Contractor License schools offer services in addition to exam prep that can help you get everything taken care of quickly and easily.
Check out this article for a more in-depth look at how to choose a contractor license school.
Getting a contractor license is a great way to scale your business and expand your services.
The flooring industry is always booming and flooring contractors that are professional and licensed can make a lot of money.
Be sure to check out this article for a complete guide to the C-15 Flooring License. If you have found this information feel free to drop us a comment and check again in the future for updates!