What Jobs Can You Do With a C-15 license?
The C-15 license is a California contractor classification for individuals or companies that specialize in flooring services.
There are a variety of services that can be offered if you have this license, including:
- Floor installation and custom flooring
- Carpet Installation
- Linoleum and Vinyl flooring
- Carpet cleaning, restoration, and disposal
- Hardwood floors
- Floor demolition
- Resilient tile
- Stone floor installation
- Glue removal
- Eliminating previous adhesive coating in sub-floors
- Product sales
- Luxury Vinyl Flooring
- Epoxy flooring
- Resurfacing concrete
- Floor restoration
- Floor covering
- Dustless sanding
- Subfloor repair
Flooring Contractors and the CSLB
There are 4 major classification categories:
Commonly referred to as simply the “C-15 or flooring contractor license”.
Expanding your floor construction business in California
Contractors in California can hold multiple licenses.
The most common pairings for the C-15 license are:
Requirements for California C-15 Contractors
To get a flooring contractor license you must meet the following basic requirements:
- 18 Years of Age
- 4 Years of Journeyman Level Experience
- Social Security or ITIN #
- Not Currently on Probation or Parole
- Signature from a licensed contractor, fellow employee, supervisor, or business associate
What floor construction concepts do I need to know for the test?
You will definitely want to be prepared for any curveballs that could come up on the C-15 license exam.
You may be presented with questions related to carpet installation, sub-flooring, and safety procedures that you may or may not be familiar with.
It will be important to review everything you can.
Below is a breakdown of what you need to know:
1. Planning and Estimating (26%)
- Evaluating plans and specifications
- Evaluating material characteristics
- Performing job-related calculations
- Evaluating job site readiness
- Material acclimation
2. Subfloor Evaluation and Preparation (17%)
- Removing existing flooring
- Evaluating and preparing subfloor for installation
- Testing subfloor for moisture
- Installing under layments
3. Carpet Installation (14%)
- Installing tack strip, cushions, and trim
- Cutting and laying out carpet
- Seaming and sealing carpet
- Installing carpet
- Installing and replacing moldings, etc.
4. Resilient Goods and Rubber Flooring Installation (12%)
- Cutting and/or laying out sheet goods for installation
- Using adhesives
- Preparing subfloor for installation
- Rolling and sealing sheet goods
- Installing laminate, trim, and transitions
5. Laminate Flooring Installation (8%)
- Cutting and laying out laminates
- Installing laminate, trim, and transitions
6. Wood Flooring Installation (10%)
- Performing moisture tests
- Cutting and laying out wood
- Installing wood flooring and trim
- Filling and sanding wood
- Finishing wood
7. Safety (13%)
- Applying personal safety procedures
- Applying job safety procedures
- Operating tools and equipment safely
- Safe handling and disposal of products
What's the C-15 Contractor's license exam process like?
The exam will be:
- 115 Questions Law & Business
- 115 Questions Flooring
- Multiple Choice
- Closed Book
- 3 Hours to Complete each section
- Taken via Computer at a proctored exam facility
- Exam Centers located all over the state of California
There will be math on your CSLB law & business and trade exam.
On the law side, questions will be presented to you as if you are a General Building Contractor with multiple projects running simultaneously with several employees.
You can expect math questions related to:
- Cost Estimation
- Percentages and Decimals
The math you can expect on the C-15 license test will be a little bit more complex.
- Units of Measurement
Blueprint Reading Skills
Blueprint reading is a fundamental skill for all contractors. Knowing how to interpret plans and is a key part of the job if you are working within a construction crew.
Some aspects of plan reading may also be your examination.
For a deeper look at blueprint reading concepts, check out this free blueprint reading guide.
CSLB law & business exam
Our complete course is a guide for aspiring California flooring contractors.
A step by step break down all of the essential knowledge you need to be successful on your CSLB law & business examination.
In addition to passing your exam, those looking to get the C-15 license will be equipped with a crash course on how to run a profitable business.
You will learn:
- Company organization
- How to bid effectively
- Understanding cost control
- Various contract types
- Cash management
- Estimation fundamentals
- Business Structures
- Worker’s Compensation and Taxes
- Insurance Types in Construction
- Labor Laws and Employee Rights
- Hiring and Firing Practices
- Contractor Bonds
- Mechanics Liens
- State Laws and Statutes
- Project Management 101
- Prevailing Wages and Public Works
- And Much More!