What Jobs Can You Bid with a C-36 License in California?
The C-36 contractors license is for individuals or companies that specialize in residential and commercial plumbing.
There are a variety of jobs you can bid if you have this license, including:
- Drain cleaning services
- Trenchless sewer repair
- Sewer line repair
- Backflow services
- Drain line hydro water jetting
- Color camera pipe inspections
- Electronic pipe and sewer drain line location
- Preventative clogged drain maintenance
- Faucet Repairs
- Residential and commercial plumbing projects
- Water heater installation
- Slab leak detection & repair
- Shower Installations & Sink Repairs
- Faucet Installations
- Kitchen Sink Repairs
- Garbage Disposals
- Sewage Backup and Drain Cleaning
- Slab Leaks
- Bath Tub Installations
- Bathroom Installations and Remodels
- Copper Re-pipes
- Gas Leak Detection
- Gas Line Installations & Gas Line Repairs
- Tankless Water Heaters & Water Heater Leaks
- Hauling Away Old Water Heater
- Toilet Overflows
- Water Pressure Problems & Emergency Plumbing Repairs
- Water Leaks, Faucet Leaks, and Faucet Repairs
- Property Managers
- Installations/Repairs Valve Repairs & Sewer Pipe
- Sink Installations/Repairs
- Pipe Relining
Plumbing Contractors and the CSLB
There are 4 major classification categories:
Common Pairings for the C-36 Plumbing License
Contractors in California can hold multiple classifications.
The most common pairings for the C-36 license are typically:
C-36 plumbing contractor requirements
To become a licensed with the CSLB you must meet the following basic requirements:
- 18 Years of Age
- 4 Years of Journeyman Level Experience
- Social Security or ITIN #
- Not Currently on Probation or Parole
- Signature from a licensed contractor, fellow employee, supervisor, or business associate
What plumbing concepts do I need to know for the exam?
You will definitely want to be prepared for any curve balls that could come up on the C-36 plumbing exam.
You may be presented with questions related to water conservation and fuel gas piping which could be unfamiliar.
Take the time to review every possible question and plumbing concept.
Below is a breakdown of what you need to know:
1. Planning and Estimating (21%)
- Plan reading
- Pipe sizing
- Water conservation
2. Rough-in and Top Out Plumbing Systems (26%)
- Underground installations
- Piping layout
- Piping installation
- Fuel gas piping
3. Finish Plumbing Installations (15%)
- Plumbing fixtures
- Water heaters
- Shut-off valves
- Specialty installations
- Industrial piping
4. Service, Repair, and Remodel Plumbing Systems (20%)
- Troubleshooting plumbing
- Isolating leaks and damage
- Repairing plumbing
- Retrofitting plumbing
5. Safety (18%)
- Job site safety
- Personnel safety
- Public safety
What's the C-36 license exam process like?
The exam will be:
- 115 Questions Law & Business
- 115 Questions Plumbing
- Multiple Choice
- Closed Book
- 3 Hours to Complete each section
- Taken via Computer at a CSLB Testing Facility
- Exam Centers in: Berkeley, Fresno, Norwalk, Oxnard, Sacramento, San Bernardino, San Diego, and San Jose
There will be math on your CSLB law & business and trade exam.
On the law side, questions will be presented to you as if you are a General Building Contractor with multiple projects running simultaneously with several employees.
You can expect math questions related to:
- Cost Estimation
- Percentages and Decimals
The math you can expect on the C-36 license exam may vary. Be prepared for questions that may include:
- Basic Geometry
- Units of measurement
Blueprint Reading Skills
Blueprint reading is a fundamental skill for all contractors.
Knowing how to interpret plans and is a key part of the job if you are working within a construction crew. Interpreting plans as a plumber is critical.
Some aspects of plan reading may also be your examination.
For a deeper look at blueprint reading concepts you will need to know check out this free blueprint reading guide.
CSLB law & business exam
Our complete course is a guide for aspiring California plumbers.
A step by step break down all of the essential knowledge you need to be successful on your CSLB law & business examination.
In addition to passing your exam, those looking to get the C-36 plumbing contractor license will be equipped with a crash course on how to run a profitable business.
You will learn:
- Company organization
- How to bid effectively
- Understanding cost control
- Various contract types
- Cash management
- Estimation fundamentals
- Business Structures
- Worker’s Compensation and Taxes
- Insurance Types in Construction
- Labor Laws and Employee Rights
- Hiring and Firing Practices
- Contractor Bonds
- Mechanics Liens
- State Laws and Statutes
- Project Management 101
- Prevailing Wages and Public Works
- And Much More!