What Jobs Can You Bid with a C-34 Pipeline Contractor License in California?
The C-34 contractors license is for individuals or companies that specialize in pipeline construction services.
There are a variety of jobs you can bid if you have this license, including:
- Pipeline Construction and Installation
- Pipeline tapping
- Boring and bursting
- Consulting and geological testing
- Backhoe service
- Applying protective coatings and linings to water and chemical storage tanks
- Underground utility installation and repair
- Sewer, water and storm drains
- Water truck service
- Industrial linings
- Trenchless structural rehabilitation
- Emergency services
- Plural component linings
- Gas line services
- Pipe repair
- Septic tank services
- Sewer services
- Walter filter services
- Back flow service
- Pipeline tapping
- Directional boring
- Installing connection utilities under roads, sidewalks, rivers and buildings
- Pipe severing and beveling
- Pipe cutaway
- Pipe Casing
- Weld excavation
- Hole Induction
- Valve Cut-outs
- Equipment rentals
Pipeline Contractors and the CSLB
There are 4 major classification categories:
Expanding your pipeline construction services business in California
Contractors in California can hold multiple classifications.
The most common pairings for the C-34 license are typically:
C-34 pipeline contractor requirements
To become a licensed with the CSLB you must meet the following basic requirements:
- 18 Years of Age
- 4 Years of Journeyman Level Experience
- Social Security or ITIN #
- Not Currently on Probation or Parole
- Signature from a licensed contractor, fellow employee, supervisor, or business associate
What pipeline construction concepts do I need to know for the exam?
You will definitely want to be prepared for any curve balls that could come up on the C-34 contractor license exam.
You may be presented with questions related to project planning and safety may not be familiar to you.
Take the time to review every possible question.
Below is a breakdown of what you need to know:
1. Planning and Estimating (22%)
- Project scope planning
- Cost and material calculation
2. New Pipeline Installation (36%)
- Preparing job sites
- Installing pipeline projects
- Cleaning, testing, and finishing pipelines
3. Removal, Repair, and Maintenance of Existing Systems (11%)
- Locating and inspecting pipes
- Repairing or abandoning pipeline systems
4. Specialty Pipeline Projects (11%)
- Installing grease interceptors
- Installing fire hydrants
5. Safety (20%)
- Employee safety
- Job site and equipment safety
- Trench and confined space work
- Hazardous materials
What's the C-34 contractor exam process like?
The exam will be:
- 115 Questions Law & Business
- 115 Questions Pipeline Construction
- Multiple Choice
- Closed Book
- 3 Hours to Complete each section
- Taken via Computer at a CSLB Testing Facility
- Exam Centers in: Berkeley, Fresno, Norwalk, Oxnard, Sacramento, San Bernardino, San Diego, and San Jose
There will be math on your CSLB law & business and trade exam.
On the law side, questions will be presented to you as if you are a General Building Contractor with multiple projects running simultaneously with several employees.
You can expect math questions related to:
- Cost Estimation
- Percentages and Decimals
The math you can expect on the C-34 license exam may vary. Be prepared for questions that may include:
- Basic Geometry
- Units of measurement
Blueprint Reading Skills
Blueprint reading is a fundamental skill for all contractors.
Knowing how to interpret plans and is a key part of the job if you are working within a construction crew.
Some aspects of plan reading may also be your examination.
For a deeper look at blueprint reading concepts you will need to know check out this free blueprint reading guide.
CSLB law & business exam
Our complete course is a guide for aspiring California pipeline construction contractors.
A step by step break down all of the essential knowledge you need to be successful on your CSLB law & business examination.
In addition to passing your exam, those looking to get the C-34 pipeline contractor license will be equipped with a crash course on how to run a profitable business.
You will learn:
- Company organization
- How to bid effectively
- Understanding cost control
- Various contract types
- Cash management
- Estimation fundamentals
- Business Structures
- Worker’s Compensation and Taxes
- Insurance Types in Construction
- Labor Laws and Employee Rights
- Hiring and Firing Practices
- Contractor Bonds
- Mechanics Liens
- State Laws and Statutes
- Project Management 101
- Prevailing Wages and Public Works
- And Much More!