In California anyone looking to bid over $500 for a fencing construction project you have to have the C-13 Fence License.
I have worked with contractors from all trades, skill sets and backgrounds to pass the CSLB exam and set up their businesses.
This article will cover the 3 essential things fencing contractors have to know about the C-13 license test!
1. Know What Is Going To Be On The Fence License Test
The Fence license test will have two parts.
- 115 Questions on Contractor LAW
- 115 Questions on Fencing
- 3 Hours To Complete Each Portion
- Close Book
- Taken on a Computer at a CSLB Testing Facility
- 72% Score To Pass
For a complete guide on the LAW portion of the test, check this out.
LAW & Business
- Business Organization
- Business Finances
- Employment Requirements
- Contract Requirements and Execution
- Safety Public Works
- Licensing Requirements
- Planning and Estimation (22%)
- Preparation and Post Installation (21%)
- Fence and Gate Installation, Maintenance, and Repair (41%)
- Safety (16%)
Fence License Test Sample Questions
1. According to Caltrans Standard Specifications, What is the MAXIMUM distance allowed between interior vertical members on a chainlinkgate?
2. Which of the following types of hinges has been designed for adjustment after installation of a wood gate?
A. Bolt hinge
B. Butt hinge
C. Tee hinge
D. Barrel hinge
Test Taking Strategies
- Some Questions will require solving Math problems (No Cellphones)
- Each Question only have ONE best answer! So use process of elimination
- It is better to answer a question by guessing rather than leaving it blank
2. Contractor License School
If you are looking for instruction covering the law and business side of the fence license test you will want to look into contractor classes. It is essential to understand the distinction between a contractor license and a trade school.
The C-13 fence license test is for journey level fencing specialists who have a solid understanding of their trade. Contractor classes are not meant to teach you fencing construction.
Contractor Classes can be great for those of us who haven't been in a classroom in awhile.
Contractor Classes are:
- Taught by Contractors, Project Managers, Foreman, Superintendents and construction veterans
- Live Instruction with Q&A portion
- Bilingual (depending on the school you chose)
- In depth classes that cover important LAW concepts
Contractor License schools offer services in addition to exam prep that can help you get everything taken care of quickly and easily.
Check out this article for a more in depth look at how to choose the right school.
3. Requirements For The Fence License Test
To get the C-13 Fence License you must meet the following requirements:
- 18 years of age
- Drivers License or USA ID
- Social Security or ITIN #
- Not currently on probation or parole
- 4 Years Journeyman Level Experience
- Pass a Two Part Exam
The C-13 Fencing License is issued by the Contractors State License Board, which is the governing agency for contractors in the state of California.
The CSLB has offices all over the state of California and offers 73 different licensing classifications.
Now that you know the 3 most important steps to getting your fence license, lets begin with the information you need to get your application prepared and sent out!
Be sure to check out this article for a complete guide to the C-13 Fence License. If you have found this information feel free to drop us a comment and check again in the future for updates!