What Jobs Can You Bid with a C-53 License?
The C-53 license is for individuals or companies that specialize in swimming pool construction work.
There are a variety of jobs you can bid on if you have this license, including:
- Pool & spa construction
- Swimming pool servicing and repair
- Pool plastering
- Forming grids with steel grid
- Equipment upgrades and resurfacing
- Hardscapes and landscapes surrounding pool areas
- Installing pool covers
- Patio supply sales
- Pool bars
- Power washing
- Acid washing
- Pool sanding
- Ongoing pool maintenance
- Deco seal
- Filter cleaning
- Rock slide resurfacing
- Custom cascades and waterfalls
- Fire pits and BBQ’s
- Storm clean-ups
- Leak detections
- Recommending pool products to clients
- Chlorine wash
- Chemical checks
- Fountain maintenance
- Tile cleaning and repair
- Plaster & pebble finishes
- Spa Spillovers
- Heater installation and repair
- Pump and filter installation and repair
- Pool light installation and repair
- Initial clean-ups
- Foreclosure services
- Estimates and quotes
- Backyard construction
- Outdoor kitchens and living areas
- Fire and water features
- Patio covers & pergolas
Pool Contractors and the CSLB
There are 4 major classification categories:
Common Pairings for the C-53 License
Contractors in California can hold multiple classifications.
The most common pairings for the C-53 license are typically…
C-53 contractor requirements
To become licensed with the CSLB you must meet the following basic requirements:
- 18 Years of Age
- 4 Years of Journeyman Level Experience
- Social Security or ITIN #
- Not Currently on Probation or Parole
- Signature from a licensed contractor, fellow employee, supervisor, or business associate
What swimming pool concepts do I need to know for the exam?
You will definitely want to be prepared for any curveballs that could come up on the California C-53 license exam.
You may be presented with questions related to swimming pool construction that could be unfamiliar.
Take the time to review every possible question and concept.
Below is a breakdown of what you need to know:
Planning and Estimating (28%)
- Review plans and specifications
- Estimate equipment and material
Swimming Pool/Spa Shell Construction (31%)
- Rough plumbing and electrical
- Site preparation and excavation
- Steel placement and bonding
- Gunite/shotcrete placement and curing
Pool/Spa Systems Installation (10%)
- Equipment installation
- Solar thermal/photovoltaic
Non-Concrete Pools/Spas and Extra Pool/Spa
- Fiberglass, vinyl, and metal
- Pool covers
- Water features
- Pool/spa accessories
Pool/Spa Shell Finishing (8%)
- Interior finish and startup
- Tile and coping
Commercial Swimming Pools/Spas (3%)
- Title 22 and other code requirements
- Disabled access features
Pool/Spa Repair, Renovation, Removal, and
- Water loss and discoloration
- Structural modifications
- Equipment and systems
- Swimming pool/spa safety
- Job site safety
What's the C-53 license exam process like?
The exam will be:
- 115 Questions Law & Business
- 115 Questions Swimming Pools
- Multiple Choice
- Closed Book
- 3 Hours to Complete each section
- Taken via Computer at a CSLB Testing Facility
- Exam Centers in: Berkeley, Fresno, Norwalk, Oxnard, Sacramento, San Bernardino, San Diego, and San Jose
There will be math on your CSLB law & business and trade exam.
On the law side, questions will be presented to you as if you are a General Contractor with multiple projects running simultaneously with several employees.
You can expect math questions related to:
- Cost Estimation
- Percentages and Decimals
The math you can expect on the C-53 license exam may vary. Be prepared for questions that may include:
- Basic Geometry
- Units of measurement
Blueprint Reading Skills
Blueprint reading is a fundamental skill for all contractors.
Knowing how to interpret plans and is a key part of the job if you are working within a construction crew.
Interpreting building plans is critical.
Some aspects of plan reading may also be your examination.
For a deeper look at blueprint reading concepts, you will want to check out this free blueprint reading guide.
CSLB law & business exam
Our complete course gives you everything you need to pass the C-53 California swimming pool contractor license exam.
In addition to getting brushed up on the construction trade, those looking to get the C-53 license will be equipped with a crash course on how to run a profitable business.
You will learn:
- Company organization
- How to bid effectively
- Understanding cost control
- Various contract types
- Cash management
- Estimation fundamentals
- Business Structures
- Worker’s Compensation and Taxes
- Insurance Types in Construction
- Labor Laws and Employee Rights
- Hiring and Firing Practices
- Contractor Bonds
- Mechanics Liens
- State Laws and Statutes
- Project Management 101
- Prevailing Wages and Public Works
- And Much More!