What Jobs Can You Bid with a C-45 License?
The C-45 license is for individuals or companies that specialize in sign fabrication & installation.
There are a variety of jobs you can bid on if you have this license, including:
- Exterior Signs
- Fabrication and Installation
- Sign Maintenance
- Neon and LED sign installation
- On-sight surveying and Consultation
- Conceptual design services
- Vehicle wraps
- Illuminated regular & reverse channel letters
- Crane services
- Awning signs
- Lobby signage
- Historical restoration
- Dimensional Letters
- Channel Letters
- Cabinet Signs
- Post & Panel signs
- Interior Signs
- ADA signage
- Black lit displays
- Frosted Glass
- Tabletop displays
- Trade Show Exhibits
- Vinyl printing
- Wall Murals
- Fleet wraps
- Trailer wraps
- Wall graphics and decals
- Vehicle lettering and magnets
- Metal Plaques
- Dimensional Lettering
- Pylon Signage
- Storefront and Sidewalk Signage
- Product Displays
- Metal, Foam, Acrylic Logo Panels, PVC
- Braille Signs
- Changeable and Stand-off Systems
- Window Graphics and Wall Displays
Sign Manufacturing Contractors and the CSLB
There are 4 major classification categories:
Common Pairings for the C-45 License
Contractors in California can hold multiple classifications.
The most common pairings for the C-45 license are:
C-45 contractor requirements
To become licensed with the CSLB you must meet the following basic requirements:
- 18 Years of Age
- 4 Years of Journeyman Level Experience
- Social Security or ITIN #
- Not Currently on Probation or Parole
- Signature from a licensed contractor, fellow employee, supervisor, or business associate
What sign installation concepts do I need to know for the exam?
You will definitely want to be prepared for any curveballs that could come up on the C-45 license exam.
You may be presented with questions related to the electrical side of sign fabrication that could be unfamiliar.
Take the time to review every possible question and concept.
Below is a breakdown of what you need to know:
Planning and Estimating (29%)
- Sign criteria and codes
- Plans and specifications
- Sign engineering and design
- Sign components
- Electrical requirements
- Material, labor, and equipment estimation
Sign Design and Fabrication (22%)
- Sign patterns
- Sign face fabrication
- Channel and reverse channel letters
- Sign cabinet fabrication
- Sign assembly
- Fluorescent, LED, and HID fabrication
- Neon design and fabrication
Sign Installation (21%)
- Prewiring of sign electrical components
- Excavation and concrete footings
- Pole and monument sign installation
- Building sign installation
- Electrical connections
Testing, Maintenance, and Troubleshooting
- Sign testing and troubleshooting
- Sign repair and maintenance
- Tools and equipment
- Electrical hazards
- Personal protective equipment
- Cal/OSHA safety requirements
- Hazardous materials
- Working with cranes and ladders
- Transportation and traffic control
What's the C-45 license exam process like?
The exam will be:
- 115 Questions Law & Business
- 115 Questions Sign Fabrication & Installation
- Multiple Choice
- Closed Book
- 3 Hours to Complete each section
- Taken via Computer at a Testing Facility
- Exam Centers located all over the state of California
There will be math on your CSLB law & business and trade exam.
On the law side, questions will be presented to you as if you are a General Building Contractor with multiple projects running simultaneously with several employees.
You can expect math questions related to:
- Cost Estimation
- Percentages and Decimals
The math you can expect on the C-45 license exam may vary. Be prepared for questions that may include:
- Basic Geometry
- Units of measurement
Blueprint Reading Skills
Blueprint reading is a fundamental skill for all contractors.
Knowing how to interpret plans is a key part of the job if you are working within a construction crew.
Interpreting building plans is critical.
Some aspects of plan reading may also be your examination.
For a deeper look at blueprint reading concepts, check out this free blueprint reading guide.
CSLB law & business exam
Our complete course is a guide for aspiring California sign installation contractors.
A step-by-step break down all of the essential knowledge you need to be successful on your CSLB law & business examination.
In addition to passing your exam, those looking to get the C-45 contractor license will be equipped with a crash course on how to run a profitable business.
You will learn:
- Company organization
- How to bid effectively
- Understanding cost control
- Various contract types
- Cash management
- Estimation fundamentals
- Business Structures
- Worker’s Compensation and Taxes
- Insurance Types in Construction
- Labor Laws and Employee Rights
- Hiring and Firing Practices
- Contractor Bonds
- Mechanics Liens
- State Laws and Statutes
- Project Management 101
- Prevailing Wages and Public Works
- And Much More!