What Jobs Can You Bid with a C-32 License in California?
The C-32 contractors license is for individuals or companies that specialize in parking lot striping and highway improvement services.
There are a variety of jobs you can bid if you have this license, including:
- Asphalt maintenance
- Asphalt services
- Seal coating
- Highway Maintenance
- Parking lot services
- Airport striping
- Painted traffic stripping & pavement markings
- Cal trans lead compliant yellow traffic stripe removal
- Asphalt concrete repairs
- Asphalt Emulsion
- Garage striping
- Wheel stops
- Hot & Cold rubberized crack fill treatments
- Roadway and traffic control signs
- Regulatory signs
- Timber barricades
- Boxed Survey Monuments
- Post & Cable barriers
- Metal Beam Guard Rails
- Tennis Court Acrylic color coat surfacing
- Helicopter pad striping
- Crack filler sealant
- Slurry sealing
- Parking lot restoration
- Sports resurfacing
- ADA upgrades
- Parking spaces and aisles
- Curb ramps
- Hand Rails
- Entrance and Parking Signage
- Thermoplastic & Sealcoating
C-32 Contractors and the CSLB
There are 4 major classification categories:
Expanding your parking & highway improvement business in California
Contractors in California can hold multiple classifications.
The most common pairings for the C-32 license are typically:
C-32 contractors License requirements
To become a licensed with the CSLB you must meet the following basic requirements:
- 18 Years of Age
- 4 Years of Journeyman Level Experience
- Social Security or ITIN #
- Not Currently on Probation or Parole
- Signature from a licensed contractor, fellow employee, supervisor, or business associate
What traffic control concepts do I need to know for the exam?
You will definitely want to be prepared for any curve balls that could come up on the C-32 contractor license exam.
You may be presented with questions related to project planning and obtaining street use permits may not be familiar to you.
Take the time to review every possible question.
Below is a breakdown of what you need to know:
1. Planning and Estimating (30%)
- Evaluating project sites
- Reading plans and specifications
- Estimating materials and equipment
- Estimating time and labor
- Project coordination
2. Surface Coatings (16%)
- Weather evaluation
- Mix design
- Surface preparation
- Surface coating application
3. Striping and Pavement Markers (15%)
- Weather evaluation
- Removal of obsolete markings
- Pavement and marker application
4. Special Applications (7%)
- Game courts
- Airports and heliports
- Speed bumps, wheel stops, signage, and accessories
5. Incidental Pavement Repair (7%)
- Pavement failure evaluation
- Pavement removal and replacement
6. Safety (25%)
- Traffic control
- Personnel safety
- Environmental safety
What's the C-32 contractors exam process like?
The exam will be:
- 115 Questions Law & Business
- 115 Questions Parking and Highway Improvement
- Multiple Choice
- Closed Book
- 3 Hours to Complete each section
- Taken via Computer at a CSLB Testing Facility
- Exam Centers in: Berkeley, Fresno, Norwalk, Oxnard, Sacramento, San Bernardino, San Diego, and San Jose
There will be math on your CSLB law & business and trade exam.
On the law side, questions will be presented to you as if you are a General Building Contractor with multiple projects running simultaneously with several employees.
You can expect math questions related to:
- Cost Estimation
- Percentages and Decimals
The math you can expect on the C-32 license exam may vary. Be prepared for questions that may include:
- Basic Geometry
- Units of measurement
Blueprint Reading Skills
Blueprint reading is a fundamental skill for all contractors.
Knowing how to interpret plans and is a key part of the job if you are working within a construction crew.
Some aspects of plan reading may also be your examination.
For a deeper look at blueprint reading concepts you will need to know check out this free blueprint reading guide.
CSLB law & business exam
Our complete course is a guide for aspiring California parking lot striping contractors.
A step by step break down all of the essential knowledge you need to be successful on your CSLB law & business examination.
In addition to passing your exam, those looking to get the C-32 contractors license will be equipped with a crash course on how to run a profitable business.
You will learn:
- Company organization
- How to bid effectively
- Understanding cost control
- Various contract types
- Cash management
- Estimation fundamentals
- Business Structures
- Worker’s Compensation and Taxes
- Insurance Types in Construction
- Labor Laws and Employee Rights
- Hiring and Firing Practices
- Contractor Bonds
- Mechanics Liens
- State Laws and Statutes
- Project Management 101
- Prevailing Wages and Public Works
- And Much More!