What Jobs Can You Do With a C-22 Asbestos license?
The C-22 license is for individuals or companies that specialize in asbestos abatement services.
There are a variety of jobs you can bid on if you have this license, including:
- Asbestos removal services
- Environmental solutions
- Restoration services
- Plan implementation
- Asbestos ceiling removal
- Asbestos floor tile and mastic removal
- Asbestos heating duct removal
- Asbestos drywall removal
- Stucco and Shingle
- Identifying Chrysotile, Amosite, Crocidolite, Tremolite, Anthophyllite and Actinolite
- Lead abatement
- Biohazard cleanup
- Mold remediation
- Water damage
- Removal and cleanup
- Asbestos abatement
- Identifying building materials that contain asbestos
- Isolating materials from other areas of the building or property
- Utilizing wet methods to control dust emissions
- Using HEPA filter negative air machines
- Creating negative air pressure within the work area
- Final detail cleaning
- Utilizing critical barriers and one layer of plastic sheeting
- Final visual inspections and air sampling
Asbestos Abatement Contractors and the CSLB
There are 4 major classification categories:
Commonly referred to as simply the “C-22 or asbestos license”.
Expanding your Asbestos removal business in California
Contractors in California can hold multiple licenses.
The most common pairings for the C-22 license are:
Requirements for California C-22 Contractors
To get an asbestos contractor license you must meet the following basic requirements:
- 18 Years of Age
- 4 Years of Journeyman Level Experience
- Social Security or ITIN #
- Not Currently on Probation or Parole
- Signature from a licensed contractor, fellow employee, supervisor, or business associate
What asbestos concepts do I need to know for the exam?
You will definitely want to be prepared for any curveballs that could come up on the C-22 asbestos contractors license exam.
You may be presented with questions related to planning and estimation, fabrication, and safety procedures that you may or may not be familiar with.
It will be important to review everything you can.
Below is a breakdown of what you need to know:
1. Planning and Estimating (15%)
- Plans and specifications
- Scope of work and project planning
- Regulatory agency notification
- Estimating materials, labor, equipment, and disposal
2. Containment Site Preparation (26%)
- Area notification
- Containment setup
- Utility isolation
- Negative pressure
3. Asbestos Abatement Methods and Disposal(26%)
- Asbestos removal methods
- Encapsulation and encasement
- Contamination prevention and decontamination procedures
- Asbestos-containing material disposal
4. Documentation (12%)
- Health records
- Site activities
- Cal/OSHA documentation requirements
5. Safety (21%)
- Personnel and job site safety
- Personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Cal/OSHA safety requirements
- Personnel training and certification requirements
What's the C-22 asbestos exam process like?
The exam will be:
- 115 Questions Law & Business
- 115 Questions Asbestos Abatement
- Multiple Choice
- Closed Book
- 3 Hours to Complete each section
- Taken via Computer at a proctored exam facility
- Exam Centers located all over the state of California
There will be math on your CSLB law & business and trade exam.
On the law side, questions will be presented to you as if you are a General Building Contractor with multiple projects running simultaneously with several employees.
You can expect math questions related to:
- Cost Estimation
- Percentages and Decimals
The math you can expect on the C-22 license exam may vary. Be prepared for questions that may include:
- Units of measurement
Blueprint Reading Skills
Blueprint reading is a fundamental skill for all contractors.
Knowing how to interpret plans and is a key part of the job if you are working within a construction crew.
Some aspects of plan reading may also be your examination.
For a deeper look at blueprint reading concepts, check out this free blueprint reading guide.
CSLB law & business exam
Our complete course is a guide for aspiring California asbestos contractors.
A step by step break down all of the essential knowledge you need to be successful on your CSLB law & business examination.
In addition to passing your exam, those looking to get the C-22 license will be equipped with a crash course on how to run a profitable business.
You will learn:
- Company organization
- How to bid effectively
- Understanding cost control
- Various contract types
- Cash management
- Estimation fundamentals
- Business Structures
- Worker’s Compensation and Taxes
- Insurance Types in Construction
- Labor Laws and Employee Rights
- Hiring and Firing Practices
- Contractor Bonds
- Mechanics Liens
- State Laws and Statutes
- Project Management 101
- Prevailing Wages and Public Works
- And Much More!