What Jobs Can You Bid with a C-54 License?
The C-54 license is for individuals or companies that specialize in ceramic and mosaic tile work.
There are a variety of jobs you can bid on if you have this license, including:
- Mosaic Tile
- Installation & repair services
- Kitchens, fireplaces, baths, floors, and trim
- Stone bath and shower walls
- Tub decks
- Restoration and refinishing
- Replacing damaged tubs
- Redoing leaking shower floors
- Bathroom remodeling
- Stone selection
- Epoxy grouts
- Hand painted tiles
- Hotel tiles and high-rise tiles
- Creating drawing board plans
- Stone installations
- Natural stone installation
- Marble services
- Countertop fabrication
- Accent walls
- Kitchen Back splashes
- Marble stream showers
- Hexagon marble floor
- Zero reveal walk-in shower with linear drains
- Glass bowls
- Engineered stone
- Granites and Onyx
- Tile installations and slab
- Thin brick, quartz, limestone, neolith and laminam
- Mechanically fastened
- Terrazzo tile
- Grouting and Tile Drilling
Tile Contractors and the CSLB
There are 4 major classification categories:
- A-General Engineering
- B-General Building
- B-2 Residential Remodeling
- C-61 Limited Specialty
Common Pairings for the C-54 tile contractor license
Contractors in California can hold multiple classifications.
The most common pairings for the C-54 license are typically…
C-54 contractor requirements
To become licensed with the CSLB you must meet the following basic requirements:
- 18 Years of Age
- 4 Years of Journeyman Level Experience
- Social Security or ITIN #
- Not Currently on Probation or Parole
- Signature from a licensed contractor, fellow employee, supervisor, or business associate
What tile installation concepts do I need to know for the exam?
You will definitely want to be prepared for any curveballs that could come up on the California C-54 license exam.
You may be presented with questions related to tile cutting and installation that could be unfamiliar.
Take the time to review every possible question and concept.
Below is a breakdown of what you need to know:
Planning and Estimating (19%)
- Material selection
Installation Preparation (19%)
- Demolition, disposal, and job site preparation
- Substrate preparation
- Membranes and barriers
Installation and Repair (34%)
- Installing tile and stone
- Joint treatment for tile and stone installations
- Repair and restoration
- Showers and steam rooms
Specialty Tile Installation (16%)
- Specialty tile installation
- Slab and stone installation
- Personnel safety
- Equipment safety
- Environmental safety
What's the C-54 tile contractor license exam process like?
The exam will be:
- 115 Questions Law & Business
- 115 Questions Ceramic and Mosaic Tile
- Multiple Choice
- Closed Book
- 3 Hours to Complete each section
- Taken via Computer at a proctored exam center
- Exam Centers located all over the state of California
There will be math on your CSLB law & business and trade exam.
On the law side, questions will be presented to you as if you are a General Contractor with multiple projects running simultaneously with several employees.
You can expect math questions related to:
- Cost Estimation
- Percentages and Decimals
The math you can expect on the C-54 tile contractor license exam may vary. Be prepared for questions that may include:
- Basic Geometry
- Units of measurement
Blueprint Reading Skills
Blueprint reading is a fundamental skill for all contractors.
Knowing how to interpret plans is a key part of the job if you are working within a construction crew.
Interpreting building plans is critical.
Some aspects of plan reading may also be your examination.
For a deeper look at blueprint reading concepts, you will want to check out this free blueprint reading guide.
CSLB law & business exam
Our complete course gives you everything you need to pass the C-54 California tile contractor license exam.
In addition to getting brushed up on the construction trade, those looking to get the C-54 license will be equipped with a crash course on how to run a profitable business.
You will learn:
- Company organization
- How to bid effectively
- Understanding cost control
- Various contract types
- Cash management
- Estimation fundamentals
- Business Structures
- Worker’s Compensation and Taxes
- Insurance Types in Construction
- Labor Laws and Employee Rights
- Hiring and Firing Practices
- Contractor Bonds
- Mechanics Liens
- State Laws and Statutes
- Project Management 101
- Prevailing Wages and Public Works
- And Much More!