What Jobs Can You Bid with a C-35 Plastering Contractor License in California?
The C-35 contractor's license is for individuals or companies that specialize in lathing and plastering services.
There are a variety of jobs you can bid on if you have this license, including:
- Stucco and plastering repair
- Stucco finishes
- Custom stucco foam trims
- Swimming Pool plastering
- Repairing cracked stucco surfaces
- New stucco application
- Water intrusion consulting services
- Overlay systems
- In house CAD design
- New construction exterior stucco
- Fine stone stucco resurfacing
- Venetian plastering
- Custom cast stone
- Foam molding applications
- Sand and water blasting
- Residential and Commercial plastering projects
- Minor patch jobs
- Matching textures
- Fine sand
- Streel Trowel
- Acrylic and standard sand finish
- Dash Coat
- Veneer and polished plasters
- Foam Details
- Drywall patch and water damage repairs
- Smooth marmorino plaster
- Carrera plastered staircases
Plastering Contractors and the CSLB
There are 4 major classification categories:
- A-General Engineering
- B-General Building
- B-2 Residential Remodeling
- C-61 Limited Specialty
Common Pairings for the C-35 Plastering License
Contractors in California can hold multiple classifications.
The most common pairings for the C-35 license are:
C-35 plastering contractor requirements
To become licensed with the CSLB you must meet the following basic requirements:
- 18 Years of Age
- 4 Years of Journeyman Level Experience
- Social Security or ITIN #
- Not Currently on Probation or Parole
- Signature from a licensed contractor, fellow employee, supervisor, or business associate
What lathing and plastering concepts do I need to know for the exam?
You will definitely want to be prepared for any curveballs that could come up on the C-35 contractor license exam.
You may be presented with questions related to project planning and safety that may not be familiar to you.
Take the time to review every possible question.
Below is a breakdown of what you need to know:
1. Planning and Estimating (18%)
- Interpret plans and specifications
- Estimate material, equipment and labor
- Inspect job sites
2. Lath Preparation and Installation (22%)
- Coordinate lath and plaster installation
- Prepare substrates
- Install lathing materials
- Seal penetrations
3. Plaster/Stucco Preparation, Installation, and Repair (40%)
- Mix and apply scratch and brown coats
- Install plaster/stucco systems
- Repair plaster/stucco installations
- Install specialty plaster/stucco installations
- Clean up job sites
4. Safety (20%)
- Personnel safety
- Job site safety
- Cal/OSHA laws and regulations
- Personnel protective equipment
What's the C-35 license exam process like?
The exam will be:
- 115 Questions Law & Business
- 115 Questions Lathing & Plastering
- Multiple Choice
- Closed Book
- 3 Hours to Complete each section
- Taken via Computer at a proctored exam center
- Exam centers all over the state of California
There will be math on your CSLB law & business and trade exam.
On the law side, questions will be presented to you as if you are a General Building Contractor with multiple projects running simultaneously with several employees.
You can expect math questions related to:
- Cost Estimation
- Percentages and Decimals
The math you can expect on the C-35 plastering license exam may vary. Be prepared for questions that may include:
- Basic Geometry
- Units of measurement
Blueprint Reading Skills
Blueprint reading is a fundamental skill for all contractors.
Knowing how to interpret plans and is a key part of the job if you are working within a construction crew.
Some aspects of plan reading may also be your examination.
For a deeper look at blueprint reading concepts, check out this free blueprint reading guide.
CSLB law & business exam
Our complete course is a guide for aspiring California lathing and plastering contractors.
A step by step break down all of the essential knowledge you need to be successful on your CSLB law & business examination.
In addition to passing your exam, those looking to get the C-35 plastering contractor license will be equipped with a crash course on how to run a profitable business.
You will learn:
- Company organization
- How to bid effectively
- Understanding cost control
- Various contract types
- Cash management
- Estimation fundamentals
- Business Structures
- Worker’s Compensation and Taxes
- Insurance Types in Construction
- Labor Laws and Employee Rights
- Hiring and Firing Practices
- Contractor Bonds
- Mechanics Liens
- State Laws and Statutes
- Project Management 101
- Prevailing Wages and Public Works
- And Much More!