Anyone charging over $500 for tile installation services in California, must have a C-54 License.
I have helped many contractors across several trades, to apply to the CSLB and pass the contractor license exam.
This article will cover what you must know to pass the C-54 license test on the first try!
1. Know The Requirements For the C-54 License
To take the C-54 license exam you must meet the following requirements:
- 18 years of age
- Drivers License or USA ID
- Social Security or ITIN #
- Not currently on probation or parole
- 4 Years Journeyman Level Experience
- Pass a Two Part Exam
The C-54 Tiling License is issued by the Contractors State License Board, which is the governing agency for contractors in the state of California.
The CSLB has offices all over the state of California and offers 73 different licensing classifications.
In addition to the basic requirements for the C-54 license, Applicants have to have a signature from a qualifying individual, to learn more click here.
A tiling contractor typically engages in the following duties:
- Installing Mosaic Tile
- Selecting and Cutting Tile
- Mixing Mortar
- Equipment Safety Inspection
- Surface Prep
- Design and Job Layout
- Job Estimation
This is just a few of the areas of expertise a tiling contractor will want to know about. The C-54 Ceramic & Mosaic Tile license test will include questions on ALL aspects of the trade.
2. Know What Topics Will Be On The C-54 License Exam
The Flooring license test will have two parts.
- 115 Questions on Contractor LAW
- 115 Questions on Ceramic & Mosaic Tile
- 3 Hours To Complete Each Portion
- Close Book
- Taken on a Computer at a CSLB Testing Facility
- 72% Score To Pass
Learn more about Contractor License LAW
Law & Business
- Business Organization
- Business Finances
- Employment Requirements
- Contract Requirements and Execution
- Safety Public Works
- Licensing Requirements
1. Planning, Estimation, and Material Selection (19%)
2. Installation Preparation (19%)
3. Installation and Repairs (34%)
4. Specialty Tile Installation (16%)
5. Safety (12%)
C-54 License Practice Test Questions
1. How many square feet of tile are needed for an area that measures 2-1/2” by 4” on a plan that is drawn to an 1/8” scale?
a) 10 sq. ft.
b) 160 sq. ft.
c) 576 sq. ft.
d) 640 sq. ft.
2. Which of the following types of tile requires sealing before grouting?
a) Vitreous body
3. Enroll in Contractor Classes
If you are looking for instruction covering the Contractor License LAW side of the C-54 Tile license exam, enrolling into a contractor license school could help a lot.
The C-54 license is for journey level tradesman who have a solid understanding of tile installation, repair and construction. Contractor classes are not meant to teach you you your trade.
Contractor Classes can be great for those of us who haven't been in school for a while.
Learn more about Contractor License School!
Contractor Classes are:
- Taught by Contractors, Project Managers, Foreman, Superintendents and construction veterans
- Live Instruction with Q&A portion
- Bilingual (depending on the school you chose)
- In depth classes that cover important LAW concepts
Contractor License schools offer services in addition to exam prep that can help you get everything taken care of quickly and easily.
Check out this article for a more in depth look at how to choose a contractor license school.
Getting a contractor license is a great way to scale your business and expand your services.
The custom ceramic tile industry is always booming and C-54 contractors that are professional and licensed can make a lot of money.
Be sure to check out this article for a complete guide to the C-54 Ceramic and Mosaic Tile Contractor License. If you have found this information feel free to drop us a comment and check again in the future for updates!