What Can You Do With a C-61/D-63 License?
Contractors specializing in post-construction clean-up typically hold this license. However, there are a few different other services offered by construction clean-up contractors.
- Cleaning services
- Construction Sweeping
- Junk Hauling
- Waste & Recycling
- Building Maintenance
- Sweeping Service
- Janitorial Services
- Debris Removal
- Striping, Sealing and Waxing
- Final construction clean up
- Medical facility cleaning
- Commercial Building Maintenance
- Interior and exterior window cleaning
The C-61/D-63 license for Construction Clean-up is one of 73 contractor licenses available in California. Contractors in the state of California are governed by the CSLB (Contractors State License Board)
There are 4 major classification categories:
Commonly referred to as the “construction clean-up license”, this classification falls under the C-61 Contractor license category.
For licenses under this category, there is no trade examination.
Related license classifications for D-63 Contractors
Some contractors aim to expand their services and get additional licensing.
The most common pairings for the D-63 license would be:
Adding on additional license classifications largely depends on the direction you are trying to go with your business.
In some cases, a client may request that you hold a particular classification to fulfill an insurance requirement prior to beginning a project.
California Contractor Requirements
To get a C-61/D-63 license you must meet the following basic requirements:
- 18 Years of Age
- 4 Years of Journeyman Level Experience
- Social Security or ITIN #
- Not Currently on Probation or Parole
- Signature from a licensed contractor, fellow employee, supervisor, or business associate
CSLB Law & Business Exam for C-61 Contractors
California contractors looking to get their C-61/D-63 license will be tested on the following areas:
1. Business Organization (10%)
- Company organization
- Project organization
2. Business Finances (15%)
- Cash management
- Budget and planning
- Taxes Financial reporting
3. Employment Requirements (12%)
- Employment regulations
- Evaluation and record-keeping
4. Bonds, Insurance, and Liens (10%)
- Workers’ compensation insurance
- Liens and other remedies
- Other insurance
5. Contract Requirements and Execution (23%)
- Cost control
6. Licensing Requirements (8%)
- Business license
- Contractor’s license
- Activity regulation
7. Safety (15%)
- Training and reporting requirements
- General safety
- Hazardous/unknown materials
8. Public Works (7%)
- Prevailing wage requirements
- Bonding requirements
- Insurance requirements
What's the exam process like?
The exam will be:
- 115 Questions
- Multiple Choice
- Closed Book
- 3 Hours to Complete
- Taken via Computer at a CSLB Testing Facility
- Exam Centers in: Berkeley, Fresno, Norwalk, Oxnard, Sacramento, San Bernardino, San Diego, and San Jose
There will be math on your CSLB law & business exam.
It is important to remember that questions will be presented to you as if you are a General Building Contractor with multiple projects running simultaneously with several employees.
You can expect math questions related to:
- Cost Estimation
- Calculating Square Footage
- Units of Measurement
- Percentages and Decimals
Preparing for Your CSLB license exam
Our complete course breaks down all of the essential knowledge you need to be successful on your CSLB law & business examination.
In addition to passing your exam, you will also be equipped with valuable knowledge that will give you a crash course in how to run a contracting business effectively and profitably.
You will learn:
- Company organization
- How to bid effectively
- Understanding cost control
- Various contract types
- Cash management
- Estimation fundamentals
- Business Structures
- Worker’s Compensation and Taxes
- Insurance Types in Construction
- Labor Laws and Employee Rights
- Hiring and Firing Practices
- Contractor Bonds
- Mechanics Liens
- State Laws and Statutes
- Project Management 101
- Prevailing Wages and Public Works
- And Much More!