What Jobs Can You Bid with a C-33 License in California?
The C-33 contractors license is for individuals or companies that specialize in residential and commercial painting services.
There are a variety of jobs you can bid if you have this license, including:
- Residential and commercial painting
- Interior and Exterior painting
- Painting and wall coverings
- Primer application
- Painting homes, restaurants, buildings, and shopping centers
- Acoustic ceiling texture removal
- Patching cracks
- Sanding and Window putty
- Murals and non-electrical signs
- Ceilings, closets, doors, frames, trimming and walls
- Painting for hardy, brick, stucco, aluminum siding, vinyl siding, cedar staining
- Color matching
- Staining & Varnishing
- Trim & Baseboard painting
- Deck coatings
- Pressure washing, cleaning, caulking, sanding and sealing
- Epoxy stains and varnishing
- Color consultations
- Wall paper removal
C-33 Contractors and the CSLB
There are 4 major classification categories:
Expanding your painting services business in California
Contractors in California can hold multiple classifications.
The most common pairings for the C-33 license are typically:
C-33 contractors License requirements
To become a licensed with the CSLB you must meet the following basic requirements:
- 18 Years of Age
- 4 Years of Journeyman Level Experience
- Social Security or ITIN #
- Not Currently on Probation or Parole
- Signature from a licensed contractor, fellow employee, supervisor, or business associate
What painting and decorating concepts do I need to know for the exam?
You will definitely want to be prepared for any curve balls that could come up on the C-33 contractor license exam.
You may be presented with questions related to project planning and lead safety that may not be familiar to you.
Take the time to review every possible question.
Below is a breakdown of what you need to know:
1. Planning and Estimation (35%)
- Evaluating job sites
- Selecting tools, equipment, and materials
- Selecting paint and stain colors
- Reading blueprints and specifications
- Calculating job costs
2. Substrate Repair and Surface Preparation(25%)
- Identifying problems
- Scraping, sanding, and wallpaper removal
- Patching, caulking, and repairing
- Masking and protecting job sites
- Removing paint and cleaning surfaces
- Applying primer
3. Application of Paint and Finishes (18%)
- Painting surfaces
- Applying waterproofing or sealant
- Staining, sealing, and finishing wood surfaces
4. Safety (22%)
- Tool and equipment safety
- Personnel safety
- Environmental safety
- Handling hazardous materials
What's the C-33 contractors exam process like?
The exam will be:
- 115 Questions Law & Business
- 115 Questions Painting & Decorating
- Multiple Choice
- Closed Book
- 3 Hours to Complete each section
- Taken via Computer at a CSLB Testing Facility
- Exam Centers in: Berkeley, Fresno, Norwalk, Oxnard, Sacramento, San Bernardino, San Diego, and San Jose
There will be math on your CSLB law & business and trade exam.
On the law side, questions will be presented to you as if you are a General Building Contractor with multiple projects running simultaneously with several employees.
You can expect math questions related to:
- Cost Estimation
- Percentages and Decimals
The math you can expect on the C-33 license exam may vary. Be prepared for questions that may include:
- Basic Geometry
- Units of measurement
Blueprint Reading Skills
Blueprint reading is a fundamental skill for all contractors.
Knowing how to interpret plans and is a key part of the job if you are working within a construction crew.
Some aspects of plan reading may also be your examination.
For a deeper look at blueprint reading concepts you will need to know check out this free blueprint reading guide.
CSLB law & business exam
Our complete course is a guide for aspiring California painting contractors.
A step by step break down all of the essential knowledge you need to be successful on your CSLB law & business examination.
In addition to passing your exam, those looking to get the C-33 contractors license will be equipped with a crash course on how to run a profitable business.
You will learn:
- Company organization
- How to bid effectively
- Understanding cost control
- Various contract types
- Cash management
- Estimation fundamentals
- Business Structures
- Worker’s Compensation and Taxes
- Insurance Types in Construction
- Labor Laws and Employee Rights
- Hiring and Firing Practices
- Contractor Bonds
- Mechanics Liens
- State Laws and Statutes
- Project Management 101
- Prevailing Wages and Public Works
- And Much More!