What Jobs Can You Do With a C-11 license?
The C-11 license is a California contractor classification for individuals or companies that specialize in residential or commercial elevator services.
There are a variety of services that can be offered if you have this license, including:
- Installation & Construction
- Elevator support services
- Elevator maintenance services
- Consulting & Lift solutions
- Elevator Testing, Equipment and Supply Sales
- Elevator Interiors
- Repair & Maintenance, Cab Interiors and Modernization
- Residential Elevators for elderly and disabled
- Vertical Platform Lifts
- Inclined Platform Lifts, Stairlifts and Dumbwaiters
- Architectural services
- Chief’s Regulation No.4 Fire Testing
- Modernization of existing systems
- Optimizing for improved floor to floor times, energy consumption, reduced liability exposure, limited downtime
- ADA Compliance and Inspecting
- Interiors, ceilings, handrails, doors and jambs, glass panels, and flooring
- Hydraulic and Traction Elevators
- Pump Unit Replacement
- Door operator upgrades
- Performing 5-year load tests
Elevator Contractors and the CSLB
There are 4 major classification categories:
Commonly referred to as simply the “C-11 or elevator contractor license”.
Expanding your elevator service business in California
Contractors in California can hold multiple licenses.
The most common pairings for the C-11 license are:
Requirements for California Elevator Contractors
To get a C-11 license you must meet the following basic requirements:
- 18 Years of Age
- 4 Years of Journeyman Level Experience
- Social Security or ITIN #
- Not Currently on Probation or Parole
- Signature from a licensed contractor, fellow employee, supervisor, or business associate
What elevator concepts do I need to know for the test?
There will be a lot of information covered on your C-11 test.
Keep in mind you might have to answer questions about the electrical trade that you have no experience in.
It will be important to understand every possible question.
Below is a breakdown of what you need to know:
1. Planning and Estimating (11%)
- Plan conveyance projects
- Estimate conveyance projects
2. Project Preparation (5%)
- Preliminary setup and permitting
3. Install and Modernize Elevators, Dumbwaiters, and Lifts (22%)
- Disassembly and removal
- Installation of equipment in hoistways, pits, and machine rooms
- Install finishes
- Electrical adjusting and testing
4. Install and Modernize Escalators and moving Walks (5%)
- Removal, assembly, and installation
- Electrical adjusting and testing
5. Conveyance Repair, Maintenance, and service (35%)
- Maintenance of elevators, dumbwaiters, lifts, escalators, and moving walks
- Service/trouble calls for elevators, dumbwaiters, lifts, escalators, and moving walks
- Repair of elevators, dumbwaiters, lifts, escalators, and moving walks
6. Safety (22%)
- Employee safety
- Job site safety
What's the C-11 license exam process like?
The exam will be:
- 115 Questions Law & Business
- 115 Questions Elevators
- Multiple Choice
- Closed Book
- 3 Hours to Complete each section
- Taken via Computer at a CSLB Testing Facility
- Exam Centers located all over the state of California
There will be math on your CSLB law & business and elevator exams.
On the law side, questions will be presented to you as if you are a General Building Contractor with multiple projects running simultaneously with several employees.
You can expect math questions related to:
- Cost Estimation
- Percentages and Decimals
The math you can expect on the C-11 test will be a little bit more complex.
- Units of Measurement
- Circuit Symbols
- Basic Electrical Theory and Calculations
Blueprint Reading Skills
Blueprint reading is a fundamental skill for all contractors. Knowing how to interpret plans and is a key part of the job if you are working within a construction crew.
Some aspects of plan reading may also be your examination.
For a deeper look at blueprint reading concepts, check out this free blueprint reading guide.
Preparing for the CSLB law & business exam
Our complete C-11 contractor's license course breaks down all of the essential knowledge you need to be successful on your CSLB law & business examination.
In addition to passing your exam, those looking to get the C-11 license will be equipped with a crash course on how to run a profitable business.
You will learn:
- Company organization
- How to bid effectively
- Understanding cost control
- Various contract types
- Cash management
- Estimation fundamentals
- Business Structures
- Worker’s Compensation and Taxes
- Insurance Types in Construction
- Labor Laws and Employee Rights
- Hiring and Firing Practices
- Contractor Bonds
- Mechanics Liens
- State Laws and Statutes
- Project Management 101
- Prevailing Wages and Public Works
- And Much More!