Passing the Plastering License Test on your first try is simple if you have the right information. In California, thousands of plastering contractors apply for the C-35 license test each year.
I have helped thousands of people pass the exam on their first try, and these 5 Quick tips are based on the information I have gathered over the years that I know works.
Get the C-35 Complete Home Study Kit
1. What will be on the C-35 license Exam?
Preparation is everything, many tradesmen I work with apply for the exam without actually knowing what will be on the test.
Taking the time to look at some basic information about the exam is very helpful.
The C-35 Plastering License exam includes:
- 115 Questions LAW
- 115 Questions Lathing & Plastering
- Multiple Choice Exam
- Close Book
- 3 Hours To Complete Each Section
- Taken On A Computer at A State Testing Center
Contractor License Law
- Business Organization
- Business Finances
- Employment Requirements
- Contract Requirements and Execution
- Licensing Requirements
- Public Works
Lathing & Plastering
- 1. Planning and Estimation (18%)
- 2. Preparation for Lath and Plaster Applications (20%)
- 3. Plaster/Stucco Installations and Repairs (42%)
- 4. Safety (20%)
Plastering Contractors should be familiar with Law & Business.
Go here, for a complete guide to the Contractor License LAW concepts you must know to pass the C-35 license exam.
2. Take Plastering License Practice Tests!
While running a contractor license school, I noticed that the biggest difficulty my students faced was that most of them had not taken an exam in years.
- Some of my students never finished high school or had immigrated to the United States recently, and were still learning English.
- One of the best study tools for them was to use Online Practice Tests. Simulated online tests are based on the state exam.
C-35 License Sample Test Questions
1. How many square yards of plaster will be required to plaster fifteen 12’ high round columns with a 3’ diameter?
a) 565 sq. yds.
b) 240 sq. yds.
c) 188 sq. yds.
d) 113 sq. yds.
2. What is the recommended mixing time when using a mixer to prepare plastic Portland cement plaster for a brown coat?
a) 1 – 2 minutes
b) 3 – 5 minutes
c) 18 – 24 minutes
d) 25 – 30 minutes
- C-35 Online Practice Exams and Study Guides
- Introduction to Blueprint Reading Course
- OSHA Safety Training Bundle
3. C-35 License Study Guides For Plastering Contractors
Test questions are great, but relying on them as your only study source is a big mistake. If you are not into reading, you can find C-35 license exam study books in audio or video format.
Practice test questions for the plastering license exam do not give you the theory behind what the question is asking you.
Use a book or study guide as a reference.
Exam prep books for the C-35 plastering license cover a wide range of topics. They can also be incredibly helpful to refresh your memory on core topics you may have forgotten.
Free contractor license study guides often cover just a snapshot of what you need to know.
Invest in yourself and look for C-35 license study guides that cover topics such as:
- Pre-lath inspections
- Substrate preparations
- Repairing plaster/stucco installations
- Specialty plaster/stucco installations
- Accident prevention
- Cal/OSHA laws and regulations
- Plan and specification interpretation
- Material and labor calculations
3. What are Contractor Classes?
Contractor Classes are only LAW & BUSINESS classes for construction contractors.
Contractor license schools offer state-specific exam prep classes that cover the basics of construction LAW.
It is essential to understand the distinction between a contractor license and a trade school.
The C-35 license exam is for journey-level tradesman who has a solid understanding of the lathing and plastering trade. Contractor classes are not meant to teach you your trade.
Contractor Classes are highly beneficial for those of us who haven't been in school for a while
Contractor Classes are:
- Taught by Contractors or construction veterans
- Live Instruction format with questions and answers
- Bilingual (depending on the school you chose)
- In depth classes that cover important exam concepts
Contractor License schools offer several services that can help you get everything taken care of quickly and easily.
Check out this article for a more in-depth look at how to choose the right school!
How To Pass The Contractor License Test!
You are trying to get the C-35 license to make more money, achieve a goal, or move up in some way. It is totally understandable if the idea of taking an exam is intimidating.
- Remember that most of the people there on test day are in the exact same position as you.
- The key is to get some accurate material and be consistent about studying them.
- Professional athletes, artists, and other top-level tradesmen will all tell you the same thing. Developing mastery is about doing a bunch of little things over and over again.
If you commute, invest in an audio program, you can listen while you drive. If you are a native Spanish speaker and prefer to watch a recorded class, invest in a bilingual program.
There are a lot of options out there to get you the information you need to know so you can get where you want to be FAST!
If you have found this article helpful, feel free to check out some of our other free content.
For a complete guide to the C-35 Lathing & Plastering License see this article!