Typically if someone is applying for a license, it isn't so much the technical skills and knowledge that trips people up as much as translating words.
It is essential to understand the content that you can expect to see on the general contractor license test.
The test will include key concepts including:
- Planing and Estimating
- Framing and Structural Components
- Core Trades (Plumbing, HVAC, Electrical, Roofing, Concrete, Framing, Earthwork and Surveying, and Insulation)
- Finish Trades
For a deeper look at the General Contractor License exam, click here.
Many construction phrases in english and Spanish much like the rest of the language can be very similar:
- El Costo = The Cost
- El Projecto = The Project
While some construction terms can differ greatly:
- El edificio = The Building
- Los Ladrillos = The Bricks
I have seen many guys who speak Spanish and other languages get stuck on the vocabulary, and this often takes up valuable study time that can be put towards learning LAW concepts and processes they will need to know for the Law and the Business portion of the test.
- Focus on learning the concepts and LAWS in your native language
- Do not try to learn every single phrase and piece of vocabulary
- Use the context of the question to translate the words you do not know
If you do plan on bringing a translator.
Make sure that you guys are on the same page and that this person will be able to translate the English questions into Spanish in a way that you will understand.
Having a translator on your test can be a big help, but if not done correctly it can be a colossal mistake and cause more confusion than good.
To get the Contractor License in California, you must pass two exams:
Finding the right information to study in Spanish for your General Contractor License exam is critical, be sure to check out these proven resources, that can help you pass the test on your first try.
Passing the exam on your first try is definitely possible for people who do not speak english as their first language.
If you have found this article helpful please feel free to leave us a comment and check out some of our other articles!